points - Details)
Absolutely everything you need to know about how to dress and preserve meat is right here. From slaughtering, to processing, to preserving in ways like smoking, salting, and making jerky, author Philip Hasheider teaches it all in step-by-step instructions and illustrations,which guide you through the entire process: how to properly secure the animal and then safely and humanely transforming the meat into future meals for your family. Along the way, you’ll learn about different cuts of meat and learn how to process them into different products, like sausages and jerky.
With The Complete Book of Butchering, Smoking, Curing, and Sausage Making, you will quickly learn:
- How to make the best primal and retail cuts from an animal
- How to field dress the most popular wild game
- Why cleanliness and sanitation are of prime importance for home processing
- What tools, equipment, and supplies are needed for home butchering
- How to safely handle live animals before slaughter
- Important safety practices to avoid injuries
- About the changes meat goes through during processing
- Why temperature and time are important factors in meat processing
- How to properly dispose of unwanted parts
- The details of animal anatomy
The best meals are the ones you make yourself, why not extend this sentiment all the way to the meat itself?
From the Publisher
The Ultimate Guide To
Butchering, Smoking, Curing, Sausage, and Jerky Making
How to Use This Book
The purpose of this book is to provide the reader with accurate and useful information on all aspects of butchering, from slaughtering to processing to the preservation of meat. In these pages, you will find all the fundamental processes involved with safely handling beef, pigs, sheep, and deer. Detailed step-by-step instructions—from securing an animal to deconstructing the carcass—are found within each species chapter that will allow you to safely and humanely transform that particular carcass into family meals.
Knives and Other Equiptment
You will achieve a more satisfactory result in your butchering process if you use equipment and knives that are sturdy, sharp, and appropriate for the task applied. The use of proper equipment and knives as well as the safety issues surrounding butchering need to be taken seriously. Injuries resulting from mishandling animals, using inappropriate equipment for the task, and not properly handling knives can be avoided by studying and understanding the importance of each.